Top ten high school movies

BY ADRIONA MURPHY

1. “The Breakfast Club”
Five very different high school students are stuck in a Saturday school detention where they get to know each other better than they could have imagined. The Breakfast Club is a classic movie which highlights the tension between different cliques of students. Although the ending is a bit unrealistic, the movie still captures the essence of human understanding and the challenges of high school.

2. “Sixteen Candles”
An awkward teenage girl turns 16 and her family does not remember her birthday. But that’s not all. She has to deal with other uncomfortable high school problems. This iconic classic is a definite must-see for all!

3. “Easy A”
A teenage girl plays along with a pretty scandalous rumor spread about her in order to prove a point to her peers and earn some cash. The new school movie based on The Scarlet Letter isn’t exactly relatable due the fact that most teenagers wouldn’t be gutsy enough to own up to rumors that aren’t true, but the movie will definitely make you laugh out loud.

4. “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”
A goofy high school student gets into all kinds of mischief with his best friend and girlfriend while they ditch school. With its carpe diem attitude and witty banter, it’s definitely a classic comedy that every high school student should see at least once.

5. “Mean Girls”
When a new girl moves into town, her new friends enlist her to help take down the most popular girl in school. Probably the most quotable movie of all time. So fetch.

6. “The Outsiders”
The rivalry between two gangs comes to a head after a member is killed. Based on the book by S.E. Hinton, The Outsiders follows the aftermath of the incident. This movie not only addresses the consequences of what happened, but also the thoughts and feelings of a boy as he goes through his teenage years. The dramatic book-gone-film is hard to relate to with the main plot, but the underlying theme is something people can connect to. The superstar cast is also a big bonus. It has young Matt Dillon and Patrick Swayze, what more could you possibly ask for?

7. “Clueless”
A popular girl, Cher, takes the new girl under her wing to “help” her fit in with her peers. However, things start to backfire and Cher is left to reflect on her actions and deal with what happened. This is a feel good comedy and is definitely a movie that should be added to your Netflix queue for a night on the couch with some friends and some pizza.

8. “Pretty in Pink”
A quirky, unpopular teenage girl struggles while trying to deal with the class difference between her and her rich, popular crush. Although it’s a movie that is mainly geared towards girls, anyone could watch it for its witty commentary.

9. “Dead Poets Society”
When a new teacher begins teaching at an elite prep school, his unconventional teaching methods stir things up in the school and his students lives. There are so many things I could say about this movie, but all I’m going to say is: watch it. It’s so worth it.

10. “Napoleon Dynamite”
An out-of-the-box teenager deals with his strange family while trying to help his friend win the class election. The stupidity of this movie is what makes it absolutely brilliant.